Friday, September 24, 2010

The Great Horned Owl

Owls are everywhere lately. I mean, everywhere! It's mostly adults obsessing over them, and although my toys are made for children, we are all children at heart. Plus they are seriously hot this season.

No, hot isn't the right word. Pervasive. Ubiquitous.

So naturally I thought I'd try my hand at creating an owl toy, and since I obsess over crochet, I have designed not one, but three (!) owlie amis. After a little research I couldn't pick just one type (thank you Google images...). They are all so majestic.


My Great Horned Owl was the first one I completed from design to finishing touch. At about three inches tall, the only thing "great" about this owlie is his uber cuteness (if I do say so myself...).

My favorite part is his "horns" which in fact are not horns at all. They look like giant eyebrows, and it was important to make sure to position them just so. If I wasn't careful, he could have ended up looking quite angry. And that's just not becoming of an ami. :)

I hope to have my next owlie up by the end of the weekend. I am looking at her unfinished face right now. What kind of owl is she? Bet you can't guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment